John L. Eckelberry
Call now for your free 30 minute consultation
Email: [email protected]
John has been practicing law in Colorado since 1998. He is currently Special Counsel with Inman Flynn Biesterfield & Brentlinger, P.C., in charge of the family law and bankruptcy practice for the firm. During his 16 years of practice, John has helped hundred of clients achieve personal and financial “fresh starts,” while developing short- and long-term life plans. Prior to joining Inman Flynn Biesterfield & Brentlinger, P.C., John was a partner at the firm of Willoughby & Eckelberry, LLC. John has experience in many areas of the law, including real estate, personal injury, employment, landlord/tenant, business, criminal, and contracts.
John received his Juris Doctorate from the University of Denver, College of Law in 1998. He received his Bachelor of Arts Degree in history from the University of Colorado at Boulder in 1994. While studying at CU, John was a member of the Golden Key National Honor Society.
Awards and Distinctions
- John has been acknowledged as a “Superlawyer” for 2014 and 2015 as well as a “Rising Star” in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 by Colorado Superlawyers, a publication of 5280 Magazine and Law and Politics.
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubble.
- Avvo rated “Superb.”
- Willoughby & Eckelberry, LLC was listed in Forbes Magazine (November 2008) as one of the Ten Most Dependable Family Law Attorneys of the West.
- In re the Interest of S.N.V and Concerning C.A.T.C., No. 10CA1302 (Colo. App. December 22, 2011)
- In re the Marriage of Ikeler, 161 P .3rd 663 (Colo. 2007)
- In re the Marriage of Ikeler, 148 P .3d 347 (Colo. App. 2006)
- “Clerical Mistakes in Family Law Cases” Family Law Section Newsletter, Summer Issue, 2013.
- “MontClarion”, a Denver, Colorado magazine. 4-part article Fall 2010-Summer 2011.
- John was an editor for the Domestic Relations Law & Orders Bench Book, released in 2006 and 2009.
- “The State of Voluntary Unemployment and Underemployment in Colorado” The Colorado Lawyer, November, 2005.
- John is in his ninth year on the Executive Council of the Family Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association.
- John serves as the 2014-2015 Immediate Past Chair for the Colorado Bar Association’s Family Law Section.
- John is a Board of Directors member of the Metro Volunteer Lawyers, an organization that recruits and coordinates volunteer lawyers to perform free and low-cost legal services for people with no or very low income.
- John chairs the mentoring committees for the Family Law Section of the CBA and for Metro Volunteer Lawyers. John believes the mentoring role is invaluable in the legal profession and provides rewarding experiences for all individuals involved.
- John is a member of the Denver, Arapahoe, and Jefferson County Bar Associations.
- John is a board member of FACES – Family Advocacy, Care, Education & Support, a non-profit organization in Denver; whose vision is to prevent child abuse, neglect, and family violence.
- Fellow of the Colorado Bar Foundation.
- “Bankruptcy Basic Skills,” Family Law Basic Skills Program, February 12, 2015.
- “Mentoring,” Family Law Basic Skills Program, February 12, 2015.
- “Hearsay Evidence,” 2014 Annual Judicial Conference, September 11, 2014.
- “Impact of Bankruptcy on Domestic Relations,” Domestic Relations Judicial Institute, June 6, 2014.
- Moderator for the “Judges Panel on New Spousal Maintenance Statute,” Family Law Section Luncheon, March 21, 2014.
- “Bankruptcy Basic Skills,” Family Law Basic Skills Program, February 8, 2014.
- “Mentoring,” Family Law Basic Sills Program, February 6, 2014.
- Program Chair for the 2013 Family Law Institute, August 9-11, 2013.
- “Hearsay Evidence,” Family Law Evidence Practicum, March 13, 2013
- “Bankruptcy Basic Skills,” Family Law Basic Skills Program, February 7, 2013.
- “Mentoring,” Family Law Basic Skills Program, February 7, 2013.
- “Unbundled Representation,” National Pro Bono Celebration Training, October 24, 2012.
- “Bankruptcy Basic Skills,” Family Law Basic Skills Program, February 24, 2012.
- “Mentoring,” Family Law Basic Skills Program, February 24, 2012.
- “Judges Panel on Business Valuations,” Family Law Section Luncheon, February 10, 2012.
- “Basic Evidence Fundamentals for Use in Family Law Cases,” National Pro Bono Celebration Training, October 26, 2011.
- “Immigration at the Crossroads,” ALIA conference, September 16, 2011.
- “Impeachment Evidence,” Family Law Evidence Practicum, May 14, 2011.
- “Same Sex Rights & Family Law – Protecting the Non-Traditional Family in a System of Tradition,” University of Denver College of Law, April 4, 2011.
- “Bankruptcy Basic Skills,” Family Law Basic Skills Program, February 18, 2011.
- “Mentoring,” Family Law Basic Skills Program, February 18, 2011.
- “Judges Panel on Attorney Fees,” Family Law Section Luncheon, February 11, 2011.
- “Family Law Issues Affecting Your Immigration Practice,” ALIA Luncheon, October 13, 2010.
- “Anatomy of a Family Law Case,” National Pro Bono Celebration Training, October 29, 2009.
- “Bankruptcy 101,” Family Law Institute, October 23, 2009.
- “Bankruptcy 101,” Family Law Institute, August 9, 2009.
- “Allocation of Parental Responsibilities,” MDIC Luncheon, February 5, 2008.
- “Equitable Divorce Settlements,” National Business Institute, December 10, 2007.
- “Preventing Critical Financial Mistakes During Divorces,” National Business Institute, September 27, 2007.
- “Working with the Imperfect Client: The Ten Commandments of Client Management,” Colorado Bar Association Colorado Legal Education, August 12, 2007.
- “Dissolution and Bankruptcy,” Family Law Section Luncheon, March 2007.
- “Relocation,” Arapahoe County Bar Association, October 27, 2005.
- “Domestic Law in Colorado,” National Business Institute, June 2005.
- “Exploring Essential Issues in Domestic Law,” National Business Institute, March 2003.
Call Us Today!
1660 Lincoln Street
Denver, CO 80264